The life of an athlete at Oxford can be tough. While it can be a demanding and challenging road, it's also one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have! You'll get to build a community, learn valuable life skills, and have fun along the way. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your time at Oxford and succeed both as a student and an athlete!
- "Time Management is Your Secret Weapon" - With a packed schedule of tutorials, essays, training, lectures, and more, managing your time effectively is crucial. Make the most of your day by breaking it down into manageable chunks and prioritising tasks. By having a well-planned schedule, you'll tackle each day with confidence and ease!
- "Organise, Every Other Day I organise" - With so much going on, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Keep track of important dates, assignments, events, and training plans by investing in a planner or using a digital calendar. Set reminders for important events and always know what's coming up next. A little bit of organisation can go a long way in helping you stay on top of things.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard" - Your education at Oxford should always be your top priority, but that doesn't mean you can't also have fun. Make sure to get enough sleep, work, socialise and dedicate enough time to your studies. Even during the busiest training and competition periods. Balancing work and play is key to success. Whats best for you may mean you work better when you're active and training. Finding a routine that keeps you sharp in the library and on the track or field.
- "Stay Sharp On and Off the Field" - Proper nutrition and hydration are essential for both academic and athletic success. Fuel your body with healthy, balanced meals and plenty of water to perform at your best and stay sharp and focused in the library. College life can sometimes clash with your training goals but if you need help, reach out to others ahead of you who have successfully balanced life as an athlete in college. They will be more than happy to share their tips and tricks!
- "Surround Yourself with a Support System" - Being a student-athlete at Oxford can be stressful at times, but don't worry, you're not alone! Surround yourself with a supportive network of friends, family, coaches, and teachers who will help you stay motivated and encourage you to keep pushing forward. Remember, even in individual sports, training and competing as a team can be the most fun, especially at university. Don't hesitate to reach out for help when you need it, and always take the time to celebrate your successes, big or small.
I know I said 5 tips, and despite being a statistics PhD student, counting isn't my forte, so here is one more. "Celebrate Your Wins!" Take the time to acknowledge your accomplishments, both in the classroom and on the field. Whether it's a good grade or a good training session, recognising your success will boost your confidence and motivate you to keep working hard. Stay focused, stay motivated, stay organised, and you'll be unstoppable!